Skip to main content

assessment

I spent today making an assessment template for literacy. We got one for math and its cool but we needed one for Lit with all the learning outcomes. If I werent so tired, I would explain an easy, fool proof (if there is such a thing) way to assess the kids authentically and not have to do it a week before ESIS.

While there are many who are used to ECE, many havent had to assess on so many learning outcomes. In addition, there are lots of teachers who have not been in such low grades for a long time-if ever. Maybe Ill just bullet this and be quick about it with (possible) details to follow.
FYI,this is for KG


  • use the full assessment paper as your guide for what lessons need to be taught.start somewhere.Anywhere. If noone can do it, thats fine,mark N for not yet. I for in progress and P for proficient in your personal notes.
  • assess authentically, even when they are doing an activity for Arabic.You can assess fine motor skills, social skills.Get it out of the way while she is teaching.
  • Use small group assessment forms for each small group (I do one group at my table a day because I dont want my focus to be taken by having to monitor and rotate kids but some people like that) and FILL OUT THE FORM BEFORE THE LESSON BEGINS.This way you are only checking if they can do it alone,need some help,or cant do it at all.
  • after a week of doing them you should have the whole class for that learning outcome.transfer it to your master form and once you have some boxes filled in, its easier to make groups based on what the kids need to work on.
  • ESIS TIME? use your master sheet to plug in what you have learned about your  kids.
  • if everyone in your school uses something similar, then everyone is on the same page in regards to how the kids are being assessed AUTHENTICALLY.
  • side note:centers (free choice centers) offer a great time to assess as they are in charge of their own learning and you can really see what they can do and how their brains are working.Not much language needed if theyre in science,math,computer,or writing and youre observing from the sidelines and taking notes.
  • I group my kids randomly at first but change based on need:homogenous, high/low so they can learn and teach from each other,high so that I can extend their learning, and low so that I can support.Of course, nothing is perfect but Im confident this can work this year.Time will tell.
last week the fog kept me from doing all (most) of what Id planned. Today, in small group I learned what a short attention span some of the kids in that group have and that they may have to be switched if things dont get better soon.But ont he bright side, I have part of their social learning outcome assessment done based on their behavior.

goodnite.im TIRED

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

shwaya arabi

Being here for so long makes me feel like I should be speaking more Arabic. Some people here will ask you why you don't know more.I even had a rude guy tell me how he speaks English and that I should be speaking Arabic. Im sure it didn't cross his mind that he has many opportunities to practice using English because that is what is used everywhere. In regards to Arabic, not only is it not often used in public places but there are different dialects so words I learn at school may have no meaning if you are not Emirati.  Anyway, I started my list with about 70 and have and will add to it as words cross my mind.Im sure when school starts again Ill remember some more!
ana:mema araf:i can't/i don't know howsawili:do it for meathini:give it to mebes:stopshwaya:little or slowlymafi:nonebadoon:withoutbadoon sote:stop talkingisma:listenimshi:walktabur:line upbucara:tomorrowinshallah:God willingsabah al khair: good morningana habuk:i love youel ab:playbehedu:nicelyel ab behedu:p…

GET OUT

Brace yourself.

It's coming.

Piles of things with nowhere to go and an impending deadline. You have a million things to do so you begin the arduous task of figuring out what to keep and what to let go of. In the beginning, it seems easy enough. Maybe you don't have lots of things. In which case, the above picture will never be you. In most cases, however, just get your tissue ready. Or your bottle of libation. Whichever suits your fancy.

Let me start with the process of letting things go. Because I am so smart, I began paring down months ago. It felt good and I was so proud of myself for being on top of things. After that, I began to walk around my house and think about what I would post things for when the time came. I decided I didn't want the hassle of bargaining so I would post things for a ridiculous price. Satisfied that I had time, I continued on with daily life. Fast forward some months and we get the paper work. It is so confusing that I set it aside and figured …

Moroccanoil Soap

If youve read this blog for any length of time, Im sure youve gotten your laughs off my Moroccan bath experience. As crazy as that was for me, i believe I will be going to get one again, though at a much better establishment!
Today, I ran across this product



 And while waiting in line for a price, an Arabic lady gave it the once over, looked inside, and nodded her head in approval of what was inside. After seeing it was only 9.50 dhm, I got another. Once I try it, I will certainly give a review! In the meantime, here is information about the product-or products like this:

Moroccan Black Soap and How To Use It



The black soap is part of the traditional hammam ritual. It is the first treatment in oriental public bath. With a texture of butter, this natural vegetable paste based with black olives is rich in vitamin E.
It is obtained from a mixture of oil and crushed olives, soaked in salt and potash. In the nineteenth century it was used as a product of Dermatology and later became a real b…