We all want to know what to do,what to bring, what to leave behind,etc,etc. The easy answer from some is to "leave it all,you can get it all here" and I can imagine those same people with crazy looks after some of the questions they read.
Yes,yes-you can get skirts here, meds here,your kids fave toys and ones they havent dreamt of, undies here,hair products here,deoderant here-the list goes on and on. And you would make it ok if you left it all behind and decided to get things once here.If you are a person who can get by easily with little AND dont want to pay a lot for overage charges on bags,it would be wise,wise,wise to fill your bag with things for work.Even if you brought nothing but English books (low level,like 3 grades less than what you are teaching if not more in some instances)
What you (probably) wont find?
- an electric shaver for women
- hair products for people with locs (in general stores and if you have please let me know!)
- shea butter
- some of the green vegetables you are used to
- mascara at a reasonable price
- foundation for darker skin unless its from MAC or Sephora
- maybe your favorite brand of feminine product
- vitamins at a reasonable price (more on that later)
- natural supplements that youd find easily at home
- homeopathic products
- Im sure theres something else Im missing
- undies-if you have a bigger bust size,you may just want to bring bras you KNOW will be comfortable.No need to be hot AND uncomfortable!
- vitamins-people say theyre expensive but they never really say HOW expensive. Ive seen something as simple as Omega 3 supplements for about 50 dollars a bottle.
- medicines-this includes things as simple as cough drops.THEY DONT WORK HERE and even worse?They are made mostly of sugar and aspertame (whyyyyy??) Painpills seem to be ok and they do have this powder thats kind of like theraflu.I love theraflu and this also works well.
- hair products-if you have something you love,bring it.If its not something regular like pantene it may not be here.I have yet to find anything I used at home for my natural hair.Luckily I do know how to make my own products for certain things.
- Id even say bring a bag of grits if you think you cant make it a year without them,lol.
in regards to prescriptions, I would ask someone already over here to see if they have your prescribed medicine. Its possible that they dont and that they have another one just as good. If thats not an option you should stock up-and preferably before your current insurance runs out!
*leave at home expectations,preconceived notions,bad attitudes,worry,feelings of superiority,one way thinking,stubbornness,whining,and fear.*