There have been several times where I've thought, "I need to go write..." but I never got around to it. So in the spirit of keeping this place updated I figured I should come and write before the year ends. Maybe Ill just recap the highlights of the semester.
- This is my first time having a class for a second year in a row. Its quite different from getting kg2s who haven't been to kg1. Every year I felt bad because my kids weren't using English but it was because they hadn't heard it long enough. They did, however, understand English and I was usually satisfied with that. They are using a good amount of English,especially to tell on each other.They also translate for me when they can.
- I have a few who are ready to start reading cvc words, that is also a first.
- We continue to get more materials for the classroom. Though not much for Arabic. Its unfortunate and if someone were to get into production in that area they would make a fortune!
- My teacher is preggers and, therefore, out of school for the next two months. At least. I can't put into words how much I miss her.She's a good Arabic teacher. I had to take a mental step back because I was irritated about my kids not having someone to fill her shoes but it is out of my hands so no need working myself up over it.
- I've started looking into International schools and the
funnysad thing is that a LOT of the schools suffer from the same issues. And not just in this country. Granted, people who are jaded are much more apt to write a review. Even so, a good school can quickly turn bad when there is a change in administration. I try to keep an open mind about reviews and also hopeful because I still have that burning/yearning for an International school,lol.
- I also think about Asia but if I'm honest, I do think I would kick myself for leaving this country. I want to go but the cons make me hesitant. Not sure why the place is still bouncing around in my head. I try to tell myself the smog won't be so bad, that arctic winter winds don't last forever, that I can live off street food and no stove to cook familiar comfort food (possibly), the lack of English being spoken, understood,written in public places, and the fact that there won't be any clothes.shoes in either of our sizes. Oh, and I have to add makeup.Thats important! I think that visit got me. Though I wouldn't want to move to Thailand just bc I had a nice time there. IDK. . .
- My HOF is leaving in one year. So even if I wanted to stay at my school indefinitely, Id be extremely leery of who will come in after her. Those are some big shoes to fill as she is great!
- Im trying to keep momentum, and I'm not even one to look forward to breaks but I hope this one gives me the restart I need. There is a glass ceiling that I feel is preventing me from doing things I could do if only the kids spoke more English...or if I spoke more Arabic.
- Im preparing my brain for the possibility of moving for two reasons. 1 is my landlord is selling to another investor who could raise the rent if they choose.The other is that if I get a new job, we will most likely have to leave. Im looking around wondering what
weI will have to give up to make room for a smaller place. I keep telling myself I can live the Ikea life,lol. Maybe we'll find out.